Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stop me if you've heard this one...or, Cool Hand Luke Was Right*

This just in from an author:

I've been setting up publicity events right and left, and thought I should let my inhouse publicist know, since it's the wise and proper thing to do.

I email her and it bounces back to me. Hmmm. This is new. I email again, on the off chance her mail box is full. Bounceback. I email her assistant, and when I get no reply from her either, I email my agent.

My agent looks into it and finds out that, yep, three weeks ago my inhouse publicist left for another house. So she makes an inquiry to my editor, asking if I've been orphaned, and I finally get an email from my former inhouse publicist's assistant, who is now my publicist, swearing up and down that she replied to my email, she took over the book weeks ago when my former inhouse publicist left, and apologises for the fact that no one sent me any kind of missive to let me know that publicist #1 was leaving in the first place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't good communication skills part of the publicist's job description? So very frustrating! But I've been lovely and polite through it all, so...onward.

*"What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

1 comment:

Eric Riback said...

True, but it appears that the former assistant is, at least at the moment, doing two jobs, so we might need to cut her some slack.