Monday, June 05, 2006

There Goes the Neighborhood!

I may not be able to drive--in fact I'm on my back for at least a week so that the nerves in my right arm heal properly--but in 3 weeks I'll be able to totter just 5 doors down to The Tattered Cover, one of the best bookstores in the U.S. All those times I interviewed owner Joyce Meskis and fiction buyer Margaret Maupin on the phone for Publishers Weekly years ago, little did I know that one day we'd be neighbors.

As reported today in Galleycat and Shelf Awareness, the Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post were all over the story this weekend. Amazingly, the old location will be open for business as usual on 6/24 and the new one will open on 6/26, with the ENTIRE MOVE occurring on 6/25. There will be an army of staff assisted by many volunteers, who started offering their services as soon as word got out. Shows how strongly people feel about their bookstore.

Also moving in, though not right away, will be a record store, movie theatre with real food
(!) and a folklore center. I'll hardly need to drive (or ride) anywhere. Which may be just as well, as we who park on the street have been nervously eyeing the progress of the new parking structure on the next block, which doesn't even have elevators in yet.

No comments: