Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Interracial Reading 2

Look how diverse I am!

Inspired equally by Carleen Brice's new blog, White Readers Meet Black Authors, and Stephen Colbert, here I am with NO PLACE SAFE by Kim Reid and NATIVE SON by Richard Wright.

More props: I did the first print interview with Edward P. Jones for THE KNOWN WORLD.

Coincidentally, my father was involved in the 1941 Broadway production of "Native Son." According to Hazel Rowley's biography of Richard Wright:
For once, the Mercury Theatre had no trouble attracting funding. Not with the name of Orson Welles -- the biggest man in Hollywood -- attached to the play. Lionel Stander, a left-wing actor known for his fundraising skills, easily persuaded the Hollywood investor Bern Bernard* to produce fifty-five thousand dollars.
Not so coincidentally, Kim Reid is a consulting client and fellow member of the Denver Literary Ladies Luncheon, as is Carleen.

*the show's associate producer, per Internet Broadway Database

4 comments:

Karen L. Simpson said...

Thank you for getting the word out. I love the pictures of your father. I love Stephen Colbert

Bella Stander said...

Thanks, Lafreya! Cool that you teach quilting.

Obie Joe Media said...

You should have added a "Palin wink" to your enthusiasm.

I am of mixed feelings about the campaign.

Bella Stander said...

I should think no wink would be needed with my demented smile.

I understand your having mixed feelings, but I think the 2nd-most segregated place in America (after church) is the bookstore. My bookshelves are mighty white--even the ones that are natural wood--so I think Carleen's campaign is a good idea.