Friday, December 29, 2006

More Whiteness

East High School, the Boy Wonder's alma mater (also actor Don Cheedle's).

"His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead."
--James Joyce, "The Dead"

The end of my block. The mausoleum at left is the Tattered Cover Book Store.

It's been snowing here in Denver since 10:30 yesterday morning, with no end in sight. On top of last week's two feet, we got 8 inches overnight and 2 or so inches today; 2-5 more is predicted tonight and another 3-5 inches tomorrow. During my last winter in Maine 12 years ago, we had more than 100 inches of snow. We got so sick of it that we called it "the S word." I'm close to that point now.

O Pioneers!

Still, it's pretty--as long as you don't have to go anywhere. And I don't. Expecting to host a party tomorrow in celebration of surviving (barely!) our first year in Denver, I did a mega-shopping on Wednesday. We postponed the festivities till next week, so we are well provisioned, particularly in the green salad department. Also soda and chips, to the great delight of the Boy Wonder. I'd put the kibosh on cracking open one of the 2-liter bottles of Pepsi, but was overridden by Darling Husband, who was craving some himself. (I loathe cola; also beer.)

Jenny explores the base of a monument at the Esplanade.

When I took Jenny out this morning, I felt as though I was in "Dr. Zhivago," with the rumbling and wheezing of traffic substituting for "Lara's Theme." The samovar is collecting dust in the basement, but all this s*** may have me hitting the vodka soon. Zdorov'ya! (See more Russian toasts here.)

I'd gladly stay hunkered inside, only Jenny is suffering from an as-yet-undiagnosed urinary malady, which necessitates taking her out every couple of hours. She's been leaking on her bedding like a canine Betsy Wetsy; I haven't done so many loads of laundry since the Boy Wonder was in diapers.

Max hasn't set foot outdoors today. At 5:45 a.m., I was awakened to the sound of distant, frantic mewing. After searching various closets and BW's room, I opened the front door to find a desperate, snow-covered kitty. Apparently he'd slipped out during one of the dog walks last night. He was very cuddly and friendly all morning.

No comments: