Thursday, November 01, 2007

Horror Story #7: Hold the Phone

From a nonfiction author, who is now with another publisher:
When my first book was published by Simon & Schuster, I was the keynote speaker at THE event in my genre (I got the gig on my own).

After my talk to over 1000 people, the bookseller at the event told me, "You know, I called your publisher several times and requested to buy books. They never returned my calls. Too bad, because a LOT of people wanted to buy your book after your talk."

That was ten years ago, before authors knew how proactive they need to be.
Moral: Always make sure that your inhouse publicist knows about your upcoming events, and informs the sales force of same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, these are so good I could read them all day.

Obie Joe Media said...

Though there are writers who blanch at the overt nature of it, as a publicist I urge my writers to throw a box of books in the car trunk. If they can provide the books, by plan or surprise, rather than coordinate through their publisher, it may make more sense. Plus, many venues -- conference and libraries -- will be happy to handle the sales and money while the author does the signing.