Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ill-Bred Idiots Go National

This just in from radio essayist & author Janis Jaquith, who supplied the above title caption:
I'm listening to Oprah's radio show on XM Satellite radio, and she's talking to Sarah Ban Breathnach, the author of SIMPLE ABUNDANCE. The book came out over ten years ago and Oprah had the author on her show at that time.

Oprah said she remembered that Sarah sent her a thank-you note after her appearance on the show--thanked her for helping to sell a lot of books. Oprah then said, "I can count on one hand the number of people who have sent me a thank you after a show, that have thanked me for helping them sell their books. People never thank me."

Can you believe that? My mouth is hanging open in amazement as I type this!
Alas, I can believe it; too many people forget their home training. As I say in my Author Behavior Guide:
Grandma was right! ALWAYS send a handwritten thank-you note to the event organizers--whether you were at a glittering awards ceremony or a gritty preschool story hour. You will stand out for expressing your appreciation promptly and graciously.

No comments: