Wednesday, July 05, 2006

My Son the Politician

A couple of weeks ago, the Boy Wonder went to the National Forensic League championships in fabulous Grapevine, TX ("gateway to the Dallas-Fort Worth airport"). His event is Student Congress, and he gave an authorship speech in support of a bill to remove "In God We Trust" from U.S. currency. He knew his goose was cooked when one of the judges walked in carrying a book entitled 50 Gospel Songs for Children. He didn't make it past the first round. But he had a great time for a week, and at least now I can truthfully say that my 6'2", 122 lb. darling competed in the NFL when he was in high school.

BW is now working for the state senate campaign of the father of another kid on the speech team. He canvasses at the homes of registered Democrats who voted in the past two primaries.

"So, what do you say to them?" I asked BW over dinner the other night. Darling Husband and I were all ears.

"It depends on who comes to the door. I have a couple of different speeches."

"OK," I said. "What would your spiel be to me?"

"Well, if you came to the door I'd talk about health care," he immediately replied.

My mind raced: Oh my God, do I really look THAT old?

Beat.

Then I remembered that my right arm is in a sling and bandaged from elbow to shoulder, and there's an Ace bandage wrapped around my upper chest and shoulder.

"Oh, right. Health care."

We laughed so hard my face hurt.

No comments: